Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Crowley’s, A Picture of a Cincinnati Bar, in a Chicago Hotel Room

I am on the road, traveling for my day job and stopping in various places to do some comedy, and checked into a Hampton Inn, outside of downtown Chicago.  After dragging all of my bags through the door and into the dimly lit room, I fumbled for a light switch along one of the walls.

Once I found the switch, the room became more habitable with the soft light of the energy saving bulbs illuminating part of the space.  As my eyes adjusted to the new light, I noticed a picture on the other side of the room, located right above the computer table.  The picture created a sense of déjà vu.  As I leaned in closer to examine the print, I was taken all the way back to Cincinnati, the city from which I had just came.Crowley in Chicago Hotel

The print resembled a very familiar bar, Crowley’s, located in Mt. Adams in Cincinnati.  A bar that I use to live down the street from, and is located only 3 miles from where I live now.  At first, I dismissed my initial thought that this print was of the Cincinnati Crowley’s, at which I have so many times found myself over served.  For an hour I tried to convince myself that this picture just looks like a familiar place.  I mean what are the chances, that out of all of the rooms at the Hampton Inn, and all of their black and white pictures, I end up in a room with a picture of a Cincinnati bar?  A bar where I know the owners, and have performed with Kevin Crowley, an extremely talented actor in the Cincinnati area.

Eventually, I had to put my mind at ease.  After searching for images of the Cincinnati Crowley’s bar, it became very clear, that this print, in a hotel room in a Hampton Inn, in the Chicago-land area, was indeed, the Crowley’s I love.  Actually, it felt very nice to be so far from home, but with a glance upward at the picture, I can be taken back to the comforts of a familiar town.  But I still think it was creepy!

No comments: