Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (Part II)

The glasses got thrown in the trash, and I ventured out without eye protection.  I live on a very steep hill, and the bottom is about 3/4 of mile away from my condo.  As I was racing down Price Hill at about 45 miles an hour, I hear something banging with each wheel revolution.  I have a cyclo-computer mounted on my front fork.  In my haste to get on the road, I must have bumped it right into the turning path of my spokes. Each revolution sounded like a drum corp.  With a little push, I moved it out of the way, and proceeded toward the bowels of Cincinnati.
   Downtown Cincinnati is relatively deserted between 6 and 9, which made the ride through it very nice.  Almost to the workshop, only a couple more streets and I would be there!  Headed toward a large intersection, with traffic crossing both ways, I see my light turn yellow.  I had good speed, so it would be no problem to make it through if I just hammered on the pedals a little more.  I committed toward running the light and headed toward the intersection.  With a couple of might pushes, I had only slightly accelerated when the chain fell off the front sprocket just as I entered the intersection.  Luckily, a lone car traveling at a slow speed was my only obstacle, and I was able to let it go by before my front tire passed his back bumper. 
   My heart was racing as I coasted through, only to find that the other side of the intersection ended at a park. A park where drug deals are made, homeless take refuge, and the nature of the clientele is questionable at best.  My bike is fairly expensive, and looks expensive.  I had to stop, as there was no way I could have coasted four block to the theater, and I certainly was not going to walk.  As I slowed, and prepared myself to come to a complete stop, I could feel eyes all over me.  I am a guy that is clearly on the wrong side of the tracks, and in obvious distress.  I found the most solitude place possible and prepared to repair my chain.  "Nice bike," and "Hey, what did you pay for that bike," were the cattle calls I heard, coming from all directions.   I almost leaped off the bike, and fixed the issue with the speed of a NASCAR pit crew working for Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France.
   No other issues presented themselves for the duration of the day, but hey, there is always tomorrow....

No comments: